December 20, 2012

19th December

New Apron..
A lovely surprise in the mail - an apron from my good friend Pam. All handmade by Pam especially for ME
Oh Stella had to get in photo shoot too (see her poodle pom pom tail)

 Reversible too! Isn't she clever!

 Squeal - the most adorable pocket - frill and all with HEARTS

 Adjustable to get the fit just right. - LOVE this feature!

A red frill on the bottom - just perfect for twirling and swirling and dancing in the kitchen.

Thank you Pam I adore it!. KISS KISS KISS!

Truck

We have stopped homeschooling book work for the year. James is spending his spare time working on his truck - Today I look out the window and he has taken the wheels off yukfoo! He is painting them I'm told. Yesterday he had the exhaust off welding that up how he wanted it.

FarmStay Guests.
We get lots of comments re the quilts the cats have on their chairs. Aren't the owls cute!

The rooms are all set up for the next lot of guests to arrive - possum skin rug and all

Warm welcome to Molly and Bella.They are here for a long stay while their family travels to UK - I'll be watching the news to see if they get a white Christmas. Molly and Bella were not too pleased about being left here, first time they have ever been in a cattery. I feel very privileged to have them come back to stay.
We always just let the cats come out of their carry cage in their own time, instead of forcing them to come out. I pop often down to see how they are settling in and offer gentle pats and encouraging words. I truly wish they could understand my reassuring words  that they will be well loved and cared for while their family are away.
By the evening Bella was more settled and had wee loves with Brent. Molly didn't want to be petted and we don't force the cats - they come to us when they are feeling more settled. It can often take a day or two for cats to work out that staying here isn't too bad.

Ollie is 9 years old - Mother Briar and father Lordy's dad
I'm rather fond of Ollie and one can see Briar and Lordy traits in him. He has to be watched as tends to eat ALL of the food - he forgets his brothers might like something too. Ollie is slowly working out our routine whereby we put the dinner down and pet him first. He loves affection so laps it up but does keep an eye on the grub. His brothers get first dibs at the tucker this way.

Ollie is known at home to get into fights with intruders and he also has battles scars like Charles to prove it. But a big sponge, very friendly and always the first to greet us when we pop down to see the boys.

News Flash!!!
Many readers of the blog will know the journey our family has been on - regarding our daughter Abbey.

Let me share what Abbey has written (with her permission)

At the age of fourteen, I caught a viral illness. When I was fifteen I was diagnosed with the debilitating disease Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. This diagnose finally enlightened me as to why I had extreme fatigue, constant muscle pain, swollen glands and impaired mental concentration which affected every aspect of my life including my education. Before my illness I was a high achieving student. I did well with my studies and had even obtained distinction for science in the University of New South Wales International Competitions. Half way through my teenage years, I was thrown into turmoil and once again become strongly dependant on my family instead of claiming my independence like majority of teenagers.

Since I grew worse and became severely ill, more tests were done. The diagnostic results came back as Fibromyalgia and severe, stage-three, Endometriosis.  Exhausted and in pain, I became housebound.

I have tackled numerous obstacles in the last five years. Especially as being a young, bedridden teenager who had to discover how to live day by day my future plans and dreams became beyond my reach. Thankfully I was able to continue with my studies when I had the occasional moments of energy and minimal pain by being home-schooled. Enrolling in Te Kura/ The Correspondence School, it enabled me to obtain University Entrance and NCEA level 3, even though it took me an extra year to do so. Additionally I have been extremely fortunate to have supportive employers who have been able to accommodate my illness by rescheduling and shorting the periods which allowed me to continue working.  With my determination I have been able to conquer these personal challenges.

My parents who, could be often classified as eccentric, refused to accept the medical professionals’ predictions that the forecasts for my life would be of limited health. They had destroyed all hope. Alternatively my parents sent me on a quest for holistic treatments. I took ownership of my diet and adopted a wheat, dairy, sugar free diet. They allowed me to purchase a Poodle puppy who lines up for her daily walks which encourages me to push through the physical pain to exercise daily.  

Following the herbalist’s requirements of removing the medically prescribed cocktail of painkillers, through willpower on my behalf, I am now practically living a life free from painkillers. I have embraced lifestyle changes in which one so young very rarely have to do.
These changes have caused for my health to turn the corner for the positive and it is constantly improving. 

And the NEWS FLASH is Abbey scored a 5 - She keeps a daily record of pain and wellness -  1 being feeling really unwell 5 feel fantastic. In the three years Abbey has been keeping this daily wellness record she has never scored a 5.

Whoop Whoop Whoop!

16 comments:

  1. love the owl quilt with wire netting quilting pattern!! Very fitting for the cattery.Lovely guests,we have also had a small guest here, who stole my heart!!Photo to come later.He is 10 months old, a brown eyed, little boy from Portugal!! Cheers from Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get soo many comments re the owl quilt, it is only a panel from spotlight so a real cheats quilt.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Abbey is a wise young lady and congrats on her score of 5, feeling fantastic.
    The cats and the owl quilt are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous news about Abby. Love the owl quilt for the fur babies. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support along the journey.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. :`)....you made me cry....so so so happy for Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my good buddy! hay I forgot to ask you have you booked your annual leave yet? I've given you two years notice!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. What a journey Abbey has been on , as you all have, she is a brave, bright young women! She is taking her health into her own hands.....with a lot of support from you.

    How long will the possum skin last??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeanne - smile - I will not let the four boys staying here have the possum skin that is for sure.
      Might get some rabbit skins too if my shot is any good. GULP
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Abbey writes so beautifully and clearly. It's almost as if she's writing for a blog which would be great to read. I bet you all are so proud of her and she's blessed to have such a loving family. And your apron is darling, Leanne! I'd want to cook all the time if I wore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy the writing was taken from an application essay she had to write. Oh I have to sit on my hands and not share until everything is confirmed... I'm jiggling in my seat really wanting to share...

      shall we play can you guess - then I wouldn't really be telling would I. BEAM

      Yes isn't Pam clever and she knows me soo well with putting hearts on the pocket. I even had the apron on when she rang me yesterday.

      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. Whoop whoop to Abbey alright and her supportive family. I am hoping there will be some more 5s in there for her for Xmas. Your new apron is way cool - you may be able to master that oven in it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea 5's are pretty awesome - she dipped down yesterday to a 4 - but a 4 is still pretty good when she had to pop some painkillers.

      I really am struggling with my new oven - takes ages to heat up, then cooks rapid, and uneven, and has a horrible loud fan when you turn it off that whirls for ages. BBQ weather so I don't have to use it ye ha!

      Delete
  8. What a well-written biography, Abbey...You have done SO well!

    Lovely apron Leanne...I love the ruffles :o)

    ReplyDelete