December 30, 2012

Birthday Day Out.


 I just knew the family was up to something the previous night - secret squirrels were all busy in the barn, (I do not like surprises  Brent was on guard but I snuck past him via the side door with the spare set of keys. In his hurry to shoo me out of the barn he filled his toolbox up with with water from the hose. Much amusement.

 What more can a girl want for her birthday than a load of compost - bliss 

The load made James's truck a low rider.
Abbey gave me a beautiful bird feeder - she knows how I like to feed the birds. Abbey also gave me a gift card to buy another lilac tree for the lilac alley I'm building.
My herb press from Brent will hopefully arrive soon. We think it is made and still at his friend the joiner who sadly  passed away suddenly..
Plus an apron from my good friend Pam. She knows me well and knows I'd take a peek even if she had said do not open until your birthday - Isn't she a brilliant friend and I was allowed to open it when it arrived. You can see the lovely apron here 

 We had a day out. First stop the labyrinth situated at the Hutt Hospital.



A memory was firmly made, this tom foolery led to Brent giving James a bleeding nose by accident.
Sigh! - Only my family could do this while walking the labyrinth.

 Yes time out to settle that nose.

 This stunning old Pohutakawa tree is by the labyrinth - if you are driving past the Lower Hutt hospital, take a moment to enjoy the Labyrinth and the garden.

 Next stop on my wish to do list for the day was filling up all our containers with fresh spring water to bring home from the Petone spring - this water is the best! People come from miles to fill up their containers and there was quite a que.

we all smiled seeing the zoned out cat snoozing by the water fountain, 


A picnic lunch
Rice salad, green salad, gluten free sausages, chicken nibbles, Fresh peaches and plums for pudding and what's a birthday without ginger beer. mmm we need to make ours again.

 A very busy spot to picnic at Percy's reserve - we saw two brides while there, one stood next to us for her photo shoot. The other bride and many guests walked past to have her wedding ceremony in the garden through the left path.
A lucky day for a wedding don't you think.

A visit to Te Papa Museum was also my wish for the day



 The gingerbread house was amazing - and smelled oh so yummy you wanted to reach over and just have a wee nibble.




The main reason I wished to visit Te Papa was to see the Buller exhibition, Brent's parents gave me this book many years ago for my birthday and it is one of my treasures. I see there is a 2012 edition out.




 One of the original copies of the book


The Angels and Aristocrats were on display which we also enjoyed.



We had a lovely day out and the best part is it only cost some petrol everything was free! My kind of spending. - I've got to keep up our image of being counter cultural aye.

Farm Stay Guests
All are very relaxed and doing really well - sorry no photos today, Brent and James cared for the cats while I got dinner started.
I think we will have to start timing Ollie while he eats his mince - Just over a minute to eat a decent size bowl full Brent reckons.
Abbey needed a rest after a big day out - She is doing OK, but would sure enjoy some more 5's in her day.

38 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful and magical day you had. Many blessings to you and yours for the upcoming year. I love the Labyrinth, I do believe that you can find this all over the earth in many cultures ... to me it's so Pagan and spiritual -- a way to learn to travel the sacred spiral and discover who you really are. That journey never ends ... how boring if it did. Anyway, really enjoyed this post, Leanne.

    Love and Light,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, yes thanks it was a lovely day out. I keep hinting to Brent we need a labyrinth in the bottom paddock.
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see something called " lots of work" in Brent's diary for 2013. Buller's Book, my Mum gave Hugh one many years ago, a real treasure.The prints are beautiful,and Te Papa a lovely place to be on your day.Love the purple balloons!! Greetings from Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes purple balloons are the best aren't they.
      Love leanne

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. yes it was, one for the memory banks. Hope you have had a lovely birthday!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. how fantastic, you had a great day and YES i would LOVE a truckload of compost for my birthday, your cottage looks so sweet, i need to find out more about your farm stays, maybe i could do something like that one day! have a good one.. celi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia I dream of having a human farm stay too... one day.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday. What a fun day out you had and I can relate to the compost happiness. Hugs Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue the compost gets me rather excited itching to play in it but been raining all day today - maybe tomorrow.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. All the best for the year ahead Leanne, it looks like you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose. 2012 has been a challenging year sure looking forward to 2013.
      Wishing you an awesome 2013 too.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Leanne. Looks like your day was fabulous. Hugs,xx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Leanne, looks like you had a lovely day with lots of adventure. Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of adventure, as the blog is looking through rose coloured lenses I didn't share that we all got in the car to leave, only to find a flat battery. PLUS Brent took me to a car shop - just what every gal wants to do on their birthday aye. I didn't mind as we were driving past, but he got lots of ribbing.

      Hope Poppy Q took her meds ok today.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Leanne! What a great way to spend it. Thanks for taking us along. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit you would of loved the gingerbread house it was soo cute and the photos haven't fully captured it.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday. It looks like you had a wonderful celebration.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes a wonderful day.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  12. What a fantastic birthday celebration!!complete with watties tomato sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll eyes... watties tom sauce for the blokes of course for their sausages Tee hee
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday, dear! Are you able to get Jim Shore or Susan Branch calendars there? I was thinking of sending you one, but of course they are designed for the northern hemisphere! Let me know if this interests you at all! I get the Susan Branch calendar every year! So glad you had a great day - time with family is the best! Love, Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris I've never seen Susan Branch items here in NZ - Jim Shore Christmas ordamnets I've seen in Kirks but way out of my budget. I would cherish a Susan Branch calender Thank you soo much for thinking of me. I was just looking on my bookcase today and thought mmm I should pull down Susan's Summer book. You know I won a SIGNED copy of her Autumn book this year aye - one of the HIGHLIGHTS of my year.
      Love Leanne xx

      Delete
    2. Which Susan Branch books DO you have? I found another 2013 calendar at the store today and am shipping it out to you tomorrow!!

      Delete
    3. I have Autumn SMILE. The Summer Book, and Christmas from The Heart of the Home. Thank you soo much re calender - I will enjoy it all year long.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday Leanne! What a wonderful day you had. That Gingerbread House is amazing! I bought a kit to make a little house but it's been such a busy month (and hot) we haven't used it yet. May have to be an autumn/winter project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOh keep it for Mid winter - wish I had thought of that and I would of brought one to make. Been raining down here - I'm itching to get in the garden and play.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  15. Belated birthday wishes Leanne, it looks like a magical day out! Happy New Year..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicky glad you found us - I found keeping two blogs just too hard time wise.
      Love leanne

      Delete
  16. Belated Birthday Wishes from me too. So glad you had a fabulous day, great memories. I hope the rest of the year (until your nest birthday,duh, not until Monday night!) is as happy and fulfilling. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Opps I mean NEXT birthday, anyone would think I have the goslings on my mind!)

      Delete
  17. What wonderful fun. Happy belated birthday! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath it was a fun day out and the family didn't object to doing anything that I wanted to do.
      Love leanne

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday to you, Leanne! Sounds like you had an awesome day!!!! The pics are great (poor James, LOL)! I am glad he is okay. The labrynith looks really cool ~ we have a very small one on the church grounds down the road from us!

    Blessings to everyone!
    Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kim... I often refer to Brent as my third child... as it is they have named me the stink grandma to Stella as it is ME that growls....
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday! It looks like you had quite a wonderful one all around! Who wouldn't just love a whole truckload of compost; I envy you! Beautiful pictures of your special times with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the compost is good enough to get naked and roll around in I love it that much. Fine day here today so I hope to get to play with it.
      Love Leanne

      Delete