December 18, 2012

Monday 17th December

Goose tales...

I was soo pleased I had my camera with me so I could snap you all some photos of Geraldine goose.
You see she is sitting on eggs and only gets off her nest once a day to have a swim.

Gus on left (white) Geraldine on left (grey) breed is Pilgrim geese.

Gus is 1 year old and Geraldine is about 3 years old. They can live until 20... And they are pets, so will not be ever going in the pot. Their offspring will be rehomed to pet homes.

Geraldine got time to have something to eat (the white goose is Gus the daddy) Gus is a stroppy goose - he even bit Laura cat on the bottom today. Poor Laura! Laura was only coming over to be with me - not to annoy the geese.

Geraldine gets to have a big stretch

Geraldine and Gus have six eggs in the nest 

Geraldine is an excellent mother to be 


She lovingly turns her eggs every day with her beak 


and her feet.

I didn't quite get the date she began sitting but if they are fertile (we did see some romancing happening in the swimming pool) they should hatch in 30 days from when she first started to sit after laying her sixth egg.

Harvest Monday hosted by  Daphne's Dandelions  

The last of the cherry's - we blinked and the birds were into them. The first harvest of black currents, many more on the bush ripening up.

Don't laugh but I am ever so proud of my parsnips. First time I have ever grown them from seed. Hopefully I'll get better at growing them with time.

Dear old Molly goat (about 13 or 14 years old ) thought my parsnip tops were mighty fine.

FarmStay Guests.

The boys are doing well, all very relaxed and very much at home here. I thought I'd profile one at a time.
Today let me introduce you to Charles. Charles is very handsome and rather special too as he was from the very first litter of kittens we ever bred, he is litter mate to our cats Laura and Caro. - They will turn 10 in January 2013.

Charles has a history of serious vandalism offences here - he has been known to wreck the indoor cattery and on this stay he is making sure his mark is left on the new shelf. Here he is sharpening his claws in preparation for when he gets back home.....

Charles is alpha male out of the 4 boys and a rumbler of some repute - he has many ear piercing's and battle tattoos to prove his status. He does remind us of the dominant male lions you see on the wildlife documentary's. Apparently his speciality is bringing huge bush rats home and then presenting them on the kitchen table for all to see.
A true man cat - One can only imagine the condition of another cat after Charles had dealt to it.
We are pretty sure these 4 boys would cause much concern if they were to board at a communal type cattery.


17 comments:

  1. Charles is truly in the best place,making his mark wherever he stays. Private rooms, a wonderful situation, and for all feline parents, they can leave their boy or girl and go away with a happy heart. The few times we have left ours, one hid the whole time, the other stayed in her LITTLE box most of each day.Boys and Girls, enjoy your new home with happiness. Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get great joy knowing the cats owners can go away and not have to worry about their loved cats. As for Charles - I couldn't believe the deep scratches he was making. SMILE.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. What personalities they all have - both cats and geese! Love how the nest has down in it. Lucky you with the cherries - they don't seem to set fruit up here. I promise I didn't laugh at the parsnips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on cooking my parsnips Christmas day - they will be mighty fine with carrots mashed.
      I've not got so many pear slugs this year on the cherry trees, but I've been really watering them well. Hopefully netting them next year???
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Love your goose tale. I did not know goose turns the eggs daily, learned something new, thanks. Bet those were the most delicious parsnips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma, Geraldine is soo gentle with her eggs, those big feet just slowly turn them as well as her beak. I hope they are fertile with all the hard work she has done.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Greetings Leanne...I've been missing in action at my blogs lately ... sad times in the states and for the world I expect, but was so happy to hear from you. I really enjoyed your post as I always do, most especially the pics of Gus and company ... I didn't know they live till 20. This has lifted my spirits. We are still getting ready for the holidays and my daughter's birthday is in a couple of days. She has gotten into baking tons of cookies for the family and it helps her get through the day.

    Happiness and Love, Always,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jan - I didn;t know they could live until 20 either... each time we think of maybe we will sell up we think of our animals here and wonder what sort of a place we could move to that would be better than where we are now...
      Please wish your daughter a lovely birthday from us over here, ahhh another capricorn? Mine is not far away either.
      Lots of love Leanne

      Delete
  5. Do you let Geraldine sit on all her eggs or use some in baking etc. Those cherries look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi We usually take them off her and one egg fills the pan. They say 1 goose egg is equivalent to 3 hens eggs. BUT a friend said she would like geese, so I said lets raise some geese.... Now I have a gun I can protect Geraldine's babies from the horribly cruel pukekos.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Another interesting post. Geraldine is a good mummy! no laughing going on here at the parsnips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for not laughing at me parsnips, I'm very proud of them SMILE.
      Geraldine is a lovely bird - one of my favs here. Gus I have nothing nice to say so will not share my thoughts on him.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  7. Great pictures of all your creatures - captures the spirit and soul of all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm rather fond of most of the critters that live here. So grateful you didn't comment on my parsnips. SMILE
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Your pictures of the animals and stories all make me smile. Gus and Geraldine remind me of characters from a Beatrix Potter book. Each with such personalities. And Charles! Wow, he's wonderful even with all his battle scars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy all of the animals have such awesome characters - we get great joy for sitting and watching their antics. It's like the cats they are all similar but very different in their own way.
      I'm working on Brent letting me get a peacock....
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. Cherries and parsnips! Fabulous harvest! I've just eaten half a kg of cherries but unfortunately I bought rather than grew mine.

    ReplyDelete