December 4, 2012

Monday 3rd December

Worm Farming
My worm farm which is just by the chicken coop and compost bins.

Photo shows plate of scraps for chickens, blue bucket for worms, black bucket for sheep.

We never seem to have enough scraps to go around. As I am preparing meals, peelings and scraps are sorted into - food for the worms, the compost, chickens, goat and sheep, and peelings for the doggie stews..


My girls as I fondly call them.

The worms are fed fruit and vegetable peelings, tea bags, coffee grinds, egg shells, toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, and newspaper. The worms eat their body weight each day and are very easy to keep.
You don't even need to feed them everyday - mine usually get a feed twice a week.
For little effort I am rewarded with a wonderful harvest of vermicast (worm poop) Such a treasure to put into the garden soil. PLUS I gather the worm wee and dilute it with water to feed the garden plants. WONDERFUL stuff! 

FarmStay Guests 

Jack enjoying his cuddle.

Oh my cats are soo unloyal - I'm sure Rosa's family are not going to be too pleased at this photo. Rosa is in total bliss... Both are doing fine they enjoyed being in the outdoor run with the sun.

Christmas Mouse on the Mantle AKA (Elf on the shelf)


Serve Mr Mouse right! He looks stuffed. The tin was full with a dozen Christmas mince pies and this is what I found when I opened the tin to sneak a pie... I was asked a question of what was I doing at 3am looking for a Christmas mince pie....BUSTED!

Congratulations...

To Will and Kate who have announced their wonderful baby news. sorry to read Kate has bad morning sickness - I bet the world will be buzzing with this news.

12 comments:

  1. Your worms look nice and healthy..you really do look after your garden and it's no wonder you get such great results. I hope Mr Christmas Mouse has a quiet day to sleep off that 'snack'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my girls as I call them - they are a great addition to the overall well being of the garden. Mr Mouse is causing quite a stir of today's antics!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Your scraps look good enough to eat....literally. The crusts are the best part! and those strawberries; far too much flesh cut off when hulling them! I know it's not wasted really and just going round again as we call it here.
    We only do compost...there's another want to do for me - set up a worm farm....time ...time.
    Does Mouse have to be inside the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali - smile! Well I'm a softee and love the old hens and Rory rooster... they like their tit bits so crusts go to chooks and geese - they don't get them very often as it takes us a long time to go through a loaf of bread and they do soo enjoy strawberries so a bit of sharing happens in gratitude for their lovely eggs.
      Oh I hope you get a worm farm they take very little time at all and very forgiving if you forget to feed them - infact the worst thing you can do is overfeed them.
      No rules on the mouse...
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. I have the same troubles here for scraps & i only a few animals needing them. :) Thanks for the tip about the cardboard rolls for the worms. I'll be saving them from now on. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worms love the loo rolls - smile. So does Stella puppy SIGH!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. That cat Jack is gorgeous! Look at the size of those feet.
    Loving your elf on the shelf fun, but I truly am surprised that Mr. Christmas Mouse has lasted so long in a house full of cats. They must be well fed. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Jack and Rosa are neat cats, we love having them back here. It's been great seeing all of the progeny return - but I must admit I do miss breeding kittens.
      Our cats have been known to catch mice and let them go... you see they were show and pedigree cats, a tad beneath them to bother with such things LOL
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  5. Luving the updates Leeane, those kitts are spoilt rotten, they are lapping it up!!!
    Regards.....Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Judy way to go glad you worked out how to comment. Jack and Rosa are doing really well. They enjoyed whiskars casserole for their dinner last night - well the gravy they licked all up. Cats! giggle.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. You're doing so much good for the environment Leanne! I live in an apt. so wouldn't use the compost heap but what a great way to make your plants grow and thrive. And of course, I love the snuggle kitties, sigh...I'd love to visit one day so I could play with all of your cats, boarded and the one's who own you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, I am an earth spirt, animal lover and greenie SMILE. Have you thought of using a Bokashi compost system - it would be great for an apartment and you could feed your house plants with it.
    Welll one day you might be able to stay here - I have dreams to expand the FarmStay and it would mean humans would have a spot to stay too...
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete