January 1, 2013

LAST DAY OF 2012 Happenings.

Garden harvest...
Sweetpeas.

 Oh my I blinked and the cauli and broccoli started to go to seed, never mind they were nice as cauliflower cheese bake. first butter beans of the season, first zucchini, the strawberries are not doing well this year - we had a bumper crop last year I should of changed the runners... AND one egg which is all you get when you keep your chooks in their retirement.

 Last of the red clover possibly for the season? I'm not sure if I can con Brent not to weed eat this patch anymore.

Linking up with Monday harvest' hosted by Daphne's Dandelions.

Garden Planting...

Brent planted the Pohutakawa tree. The remains of the rabbit he shot was put in the hole to nourish the tree - nothing is wasted around here.

Cooking...
 For my vegetarian friends I made a lentil lasagne (not that all of my family can eat it with pasta and cheese sauce) but I made one for a friend who is vegetarian and I  made one for Brent and I too.

Lentil Lasagne.

2 cups cooked brown lentils
1 stalk celery
2 onions
2 good handfuls of chopped mushrooms
420g tomato puree or watties pasta sauce
fresh basil. marjoram and oreganum from garden (If none fresh then 1 - 2 teaspoons dried)
4 fresh chopped tomatoes (in season here if not just a tin of tomatoes without juice)
3 cloves of garlic
salt n pepper
Sautee onion, garlic and celery in a dash of olive oil then add other ingredients and simmer for about 20 mins.


make up a cheese sauce - rather thick.

Place Wholemeal lasgane in bottom of greased dish, a layer of lentil mixture, layer of cheese sauce, repeat ending with cheeses sauce. Sprinkle tasty cheese on top and cook in mod oven for about 30 - 40 minutes.

I sent with the meal some salads - a herb and edible flower salad, rice salad, beetroot and carrot salad, plus a loaf of home made bread. And date/raisin brandy balls - oh my I was a tad heavy handed on the brandy


Farm Stay Guests.

 I had to go back up to the house to grab my camera as the girls were being so cute snuggled up together with arms wrapped around one another. Sorry this is through the wire but if I go into the runs the cats always get down and greet me.

Bella moved her arm but it was tucked up over Molly's - VERY cute. And oh they are sitting ON their igloo - it is meant to be slept in... aren't they funny.

 Bella still is first in for the mince. I don't think they are putting on too much weight - they are going through a bowl of nuts every 2nd day - Not like Zara, she went through a whole bowl of nuts just for herself plus her dine fish dinner each day.
Zara went home last night. It is one of my favourite parts seeing families greet their cats and the cats greeting them.

 Molly enjoys her snuggles and lines up for them first before she eats. Bella likes her snuggles - but not until after she has eaten thank you.

Olly - sorry not a good photo - It was just me doing cats last night and it is so much easier to get photos with two people helping.
Olly loves his tucker and even tho I gave him more last night he ate it sooo fast. A stop watch might be needed, I think he is the fastest mince eater we have seen here. Olly is so affectionate and I always get big purrs from him - He always talks away when we go down to see him.


   Happy New Year to all!. 
Farewell 2012. We were invited to friends but as we don't like leaving Abbey at home and she wasn't up to going so we stayed home. Brent was planting trees at 9pm - Isn't summer just grand.
I didn't see the New Year in, but as the norm I was up early so welcomed the dawn of 2013.

20 comments:

  1. Happy new Year to you and your lovely family Leanne. It's only 8pm here in England, I am hoping the dogs will not suffer too much when my neighbours start lighting their fireworks. We're getting up early tomorrow to drive to the beach with Phillipa, 4 dogs in total.
    The forecast is for sun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope the weather man is correct and you get a sunny day at the beach. 2013 here in NZ and we have an overcast day. I'm going to baking today as we have friends coming over with their grandchildren and Brent said I need to have something for the grandchildren. SMILE.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Wishing you a magical one!
    I was trying to video our two boys ( cats ) in what I thought was going to be a game of top cat, I thought it might be fun to put the video on my blog. Just a change from quilts, but no game, they just washed each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!! CATS! Happy New Year to you too.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year To you all. Hope it's a fabulous one for you all. Hugs,xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette - Morning! happy new Year to you too! Love leanne

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to you too, Leanne!

    Your lentil lasagne recipe sounds very nice. I might something similar and it's great as it does a few meals for us. Gotta love cooking like like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia
      I'm hoping to make a few more vegetarian meals this year - but James always grumbles he likes his meat and now he has the taste for hunting his own....
      LovE Leanne

      Delete
  5. Happy 2013 to you also. I am looking forward to it with anticipation. Much to learn, projects to work on, looking to God to work all things out as He tenderly takes care of me.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine - morning! Happy New Year.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year 2013 !!!!
    May Every Single Day of Your New Year Glow With
    Pawsome Cheer, Excellent Healthy, & Happiness



    Puddy Boy
    ( AKA... Mr. Poot )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Mr Puddy Boy Happy New Year - I laughed at your blog post - our cats got worm pills for the New Year and you got FLEA treatment... What a way to start the New Year off aye.
      Love MandaBurms Clan.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you a very happy new year.

    (What do you do with the clover?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa and Robb - lovely to meet you and I look forward to reading your blog, sounds like quite a journey you have been on ((HUGS))

      Red Clover tea is good for menopausal woman SMILE.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year to you all. Lovely to see Molly & Bella so settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue and family - hope you are having a great holiday. Yes Molly and Bella are very happy being here. No worries at all only took one day and a half I think it was to settle in and then they have felt right at home. Hope not too cold over there for you all.
      Love Leanne
      ps thanks for chocolates they were yummy!

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Leanne. Impressed that you still have brassicas at this time of the year - mine get eaten alive by aphids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIZ Only just and then they bolted on me. I'm pretty good at picking off aphids and caterpillars when in the garden - I'm not a fan of sprays so wander around each day doing this. I did get a HUGE thrill seeing a ladybug in the garden this week. Wish there were more to eat the aphids.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  10. Fingers crossed the Pohutukawa is not anywhere near water pipes or pipes that carry water. They love getting into pipes as we found out in our last home.
    But the Pohutukawas are having the most amazing flowering season right now!!!!!

    Happy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynley - I can't seem to comment on your blog - in the too hard basket for me... No the pohutukawa is not near any water pipes, Brent was aware of this thankfully. We just went through this last year with the vigillia tree (the previous owners planted) and breaking the swere pipe. I'm love the pohutukawas flowering everywhere too. Our cabbage tree didn't flower this season tho.
      Love Leanne

      Delete