February 11, 2013

Sunday 19th February

Garden harvest
Zuchinni, sweet corn, cucumbers and the last of the beans. And the first of the purple beans that I saved high up on bean frame.

I say last of the beans because the geese found them and the damage could make you cry.
They have eaten my capsicums, lettuce and chillies too (which I know gave them sore tummies as I am the chief popper scooper around here).

First time ever I can understand why farmers cage rear their stock.

I'm missing being able to pick lettuce leaves from the garden and it feels really weird that my summer garden is pretty much over due to the geese. SOB.SOB SOB

I'm collecting the goose poop and focusing on building up my garden soil. I won't replant until the geese are gone.
The goslings are getting big, it is getting hard to tell them apart from the parents.


OOOh naughty geese chasing my favourite rooster. another nail in their coffin. Poor old Rory rooster.

Huge learning curve - trying to be organic, free range life styler, living off the land
I'm now on a mission, as mess with my vege garden and your days are numbered.

 I've been researching about raising geese for the pot and I'm really thankful I have not too many more weeks of dealing with these goslings. Have I shared these have not been one of my better ideas?

A lean goose is one that has been able to forage for most of its diet and roam around the land.
We don't want a lean goose for the table, so it is now time to start fattening them up. The research I've done is they are ready as soon as they are fully feathered which is before 12 weeks. To fatten them up we need to reduce the amount of exercise and increase their food intake.

Barn Tales...

Brent spent time on the truck today.

Farmstay Guests...

This visit Charles is my mate. He is ten and  litter mate to our Laura and Caro. I can see his old age creeping up. He is always the last one to get out of bed when I pop down to cattery. Charles has taken quite a liking to me and would sit all day on my knee if able to.

Charles left, Ollie right.

With Baxter back home I've opened up both runs. 
The boys enjoyed the catnip I'd pulled from the garden and rolled about in it.


Milo is a Caro baby and quite the stirrer. Will always hop up on my knee IF another cat is on it. He never comes and get on my knee when I call him - no he has to wait until another cat is all settled THEN he likes to come and say hello.



Mr Puddy sent MandaBurms a award - thanks Mr Puddy
(I often laugh when I read Mr Puddy's blog)


Here's the rules:

1. Visit and thank the blogger who nominated you.
2. Say a few words of gratitude on your blog and follow the link.
3. Pass on the award to at least five other bloggers.


Here are the 5 blogs who also feature cats.
5. Susan Branch -..









25 comments:

  1. Lovely garden produce, perfect seat in the truck Brent, and the Geese!!, Yes I agree,
    very soon time for the pot or freezer. Lovely older boy, he looks so affectionate. Cheers, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Jean. I've been out in nightie, and gumboots twice this morning shooing the geese out of my garden. All this exercise will not fatten them up.
    Charles is a lovely old fella - I always get too attached when the cats board with us for long.
    Love Leanne

    Ps Scored a pot belly off trade me James and his truck will be collecting it in next few weeks WHOOP WHOOP - Woodville this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello leanne, thankyou so much for the award, Ivebeen a bit quiet lately, so dont really feel i deserve it! thank you all the same!

    ( my sis' geese arent meat birds, she sells eggs and chicks.)

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne I only get the mornings to check out blogs. I think selling geese eggs is the way I'm going to want to go if I ever do... Raising them has not been one of my fav things ever. I try and be detached but they look at me. SIGH. I think if we had to raise only our own food I would be vegetarian. I take my hat off to pioneers who had to raise their own food.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  4. Hello leanne thank you for the award I will remedy the problem of no photos right now lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bella is soooooo cute! We need more photos!

      Delete
  5. We understand about the gardens...in our case it has been pukekos and fruit trees. This is the first time in about 3 or 4 years that we have had a good crop of all our fruit and I have noticed a huge drop in the puk numbers....someone (and not us, not because we dont try, it is because we cant shoot straight lol )has been shooting them. It is sad cause they are such a beautiful bird but so destructive..I dont mind losing fruit to 3 or 4 birds but we were to flocks of 20 or so :(

    Karen in Whangarei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen in Whangarei LOL! *grins*

      Delete
    2. Karen, as you may know I got a gun for Christmas - since then they have left our land. Intention is a good thing. So Juila and Karen you know each other in real life - what fun!
      Love Leanne

      Delete
    3. Yes...Karen is another home-schooler, Leanne. I taught her daughter sewing for a year :o)

      Delete
  6. Hi back again! I just checked my blog and I did have one of Bella check out blog post titled falling in love again. lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo cute... need more photos he he he he
      love Leanne

      Delete
  7. I love Farmstay Guests' Blanket...Very Pretty : )
    and " Hello Charles, Smile Buddy ! It's Sunday ! "
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Puddy My family are saying the butterfly blanket is not very manly... But Chalres seems to like it very much - He does like being outdoors - and no doubt chase butterflies.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  8. How heartbreaking about the geese spoiling your garden. They now owe you lots of goose manure!
    Gardening is full of setbacks but we have to pick ourselves up and try again. I had lots of possom devastation in the early years. Love the purple beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliet, I've forgotten the name of the purple beans - as I often do they are a heritage bean as all of mine were. With the geese eating all of my beans I have now lost my heritage beans that I have saved over the years and replanted. Thank goodness for Koanga seeds.
      Thanks for saying hi - I'm a fan of your books and your Celebrating the Southern Seasons: Rituals for Aotearoa is highlighted and dog eared - shows a much loved book me thinks.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the award!!

    Those geese sure are trouble, but we bet that Gus and Geraldine are happy being parents.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - Gus and Geraldine are very happy being parents. I'm trying not to think too much of what has to happen. Don't think I'll go through it again. But it was awfully hard having the butcher in for the sheep the very first time too. I just keep trying to focus on trying to feed the family as organic and natural as possible. Getting items from the supermarket is soo much easier physically and emotionally.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  10. Yup time to make room in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeanne - yep freezer nearly empty - but soon we will be soo sick of lamb - I have yet to learn to cook goose - never ever tasted it before let alone cook it GULP. I've the plucking to do too. Oh me and my big ideas.
      Love Leanne

      Delete
  11. Hi Leanne! You are right, I don't have time to play blog award right now, but I definitely do have time to write and thank you for including me! Hopefully I will be getting back to real life soon and normal things will once more be possible! Geese always look so beautiful to me, which is probably because I don't have them! I would think that one bite of chili pepper might keep them away from the garden forever! Beautiful photos! Thank you! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Geraldine goose you would adore (I do) but Gus the gander OOOh he has been threatened with the pot many a time. Just this week Gus and I have come to an agreement and he has stopped going me. I've worked hard at being the boss when we meet and stopped showing how terrified I was of him.
      Love Leanne

      Ps Hope to see some geese drawings in your new book.

      Delete
  12. Hi thеre Dear, are you really vіsiting this web site regularly, іf so after thаt you will ԁеfinitely
    get pleaѕant know-how.

    Also visit my pagе :: http://sv-titania-kruge.piranho.de/gb/gb.php

    ReplyDelete
  13. А uncοoked οnion wοuld ρrοbably bе
    гubbed on unbroken chіlblains ωith really gοod effects.

    Тhіs haνe оften been a populаг activitу in my
    rеsіԁеnсe. Stir in οniοnѕ, cеleгy, chоpped уelloω bell рepper аnd cook right untіl tender.



    my ωeb-site: square pizza stone with handles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I visitеd variouѕ webѕіtes but the аudiο fеature for audіo songѕ existing at thiѕ ωebѕite
    iѕ actuallу wonderful.

    my blog ρost; Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete